Saturday, August 25, 2012

Natural Antibiotics- Oregano Oil

I am incredibly prone to UTIs, which is incredibly annoying...not just because of the pain and danger to my organs it brings on, but also because you cannot get antibiotics without a prescription...and you can't get a prescription without a doctor's visit, and if you get one in the middle of the night, you are pretty close to screwed unless you're a millionaire who can pay a thousand bucks to go to the ER to get a simple prescription for bactrim.

Today I got a UTI...again...and again I didn't realize it was not going to go away on its own until about 3am...when all doctors offices and urgent care centers are closed.

Last time I felt a UTI coming on I killed it with oregano oil, cranberry tablets, and a ton of water.

This time I felt I might have one coming on so I drank a ton of water and ate some raw garlic.

At around 2am I realized my symptoms were not improving. So I started taking oregano oil, which I wish I had taken from the start.  I took two cranberry tablets, some baking soda mixed with water, some salt water, and apple cider vinegar.

At around 3am I started peeing blood and having to pee every 5 minutes, which made me realize I needed to get on antibiotics. It took me a few hours to research urgent care centers that might be open (none seemed to exist) as well as try calling my insurance company only to find I couldn't get a person on the phone outside of business hours. At about 4am I was still peeing blood but I noticed my symptoms were not worsening. Usually once I start peeing blood, I will get progressively worse, but this time it seemed like I might be getting a little better. I decided to go to a pharmacy to try to get a prescription just in case though.

I went to a 24 hour pharmacy and the pharmacist recommended a low cost clinic that was open 24 hours, but only after I told him I could not afford the ER even with insurance,

It was about 5am once I got to the clinic and by then, I had less frequency and less blood in my urine.

I still ended up getting the antibiotics and taking them to be on the safe side, but it seems like the oregano oil was already beginning to kill some of the bacteria, because otherwise my symptoms should have been getting worse, not better. I think if you take oregano oil early on, like I did last time, you can probably prevent having to even go on antibiotics.

Of course there has to be other ways to get rid of UTIs..what did people do before doctors? What do people who live in third world countries with no access to modern medicine do? What do trafficked sex workers do? I'm really curious, and if anyone knows, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment